OpenNebula on NUCs and MiniPCs

I’ve scanned the web for every OpenNebula reference I can find. What an outstanding project!

We happen to have half-dozen or so NUC/MiniPCs lounging on the shelf and not carrying their weight.

My thought is to bring up MINIONE on one of these machines, then build out nodes on the others— two dedicated to VMs, three dedicated to DRDB/Linstore storage.

Goal: learn all we can about VM migration, data replication, and data backup/recovery.

So, Questions:

1. Feasible?
  2. LAN interconnection OK?
  3. Possible gotchas?
    Many thanks,
    LRP

we use nucs and fanless PCs to run OpenNebula.

we use it in production with great success.

nucs can have 32 gbs of ram and decent CPUs.

we mix with hosted servers from hetzner.

so we have 3 categories of hosts and we place VMs accordingly.

This is very encouraging Raphael!

Can you give me more details, or can we correspond off list?

Many thanks,

LRP

Yes, sure.

Sorry that I was very busy the last couple of months.

I am using Tinc to create a virtual L2 network and I install open nebula on top. That way some hosts are at hetzner and some in the office without increasing the complexity of the OpenNebula deployment.

Obviously, I use host storage.

In the office I use nucs and fanless low power servers for different use cases. For example nucs for gitlab ci servers, which are computing intensive and fanless for tasks like smtp, always running but with low loads.

Minimising noise in the small office is also a goal here.

I have a reference implementation of this setup in ansible/vagrant which I am happy to share.

Rafael

Much appreciate the info, Rafael.

I have a reference implementation of this setup in ansible/vagrant which I am happy to share.

Please forward or post. I’d be much interested.

Many thanks,

LRP