Live Migration through the custom node

Dear all,

are there any methods to change the generic live migration network to the custom one in order to route the traffic through the some defined gateway? Which configs shoud be observed?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Anton,

First to clarify that we are talking about live migration via another interface where the KVM HVs are inter-connected?

There are several ways to achieve this.

One is to alter the DNS resolving in a way that the HV hostnames are resolved to the IP’s of the desired network.

Another is to alter the migration script in /var/lib/one/remotes/vmm/kvm/migrate. For one of our setups I’ve appended a common suffix to the $dest_host variable and added DNS records to resolve them. Please note that you need to sync any changes made to /var/lib/one/remotes to the hosts issuing this one-liner: su - oneadmin -c 'onehost sync --force' .

As usual there are probably other possible ways to resolve this issue, but the above ones I’ve found working for me.

Best Regards,
Anton Todorov

1 Like

Hi Anton,
thank you for your interest and reply.

The main idea is to force migration traffic through the defined node to perform some measurements on it. Altering of the DNS records appears to be a good solution, but the question is on which level shoud it be done?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Anton,

Not sure what kind of traffic you are trying to measure. In any way setting a dedicated interface on the hosts is simplest way to arrange measurement of the migration traffic only. You should figure out how to setup the testing environment with plain libvirt first then translate the setup to OpenNebula orchestrated environment if needed.

Best Regards,
Anton Todorov

1 Like

Hi Anton,

thank you for your continued interest to this thread.

The mean your’ve proposed is really useful. Unfortunately, in the given testbed the main task is to redirect migration traffic to another VM in the same cluster if possible, if not, there is a question, where such a VM could be placed.

Thank you in advance for any kind of comment.

Kind regards,
Anton Vortchich

Hi all,

I’m playing around the same topic this time.
I’ve tried to make changes in /var/lib/one/remotes/vmm/kvm to define the specific host as destination host, but this didn’t work out. The main thing I need is to route migration traffic through the tunnel, gateway of which is on another VM.
Can someone share any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Stewart Lorn.