Is there a feature to change the way hypervisor nodes refer to the frontend?

Hi, I’m building a HA cluster of OpenNebula frontends and I’d like to keep the hostnames on the frontend nodes. as ‘one-2’, ‘one-3’, ‘one-1’

Is there a feature to change the way hypervisor nodes refer to the frontend node? so that I can keep the hostname of the frontend nodes in the HA cluster unchanged while there is a V-hostname-thingy and a V-IP address (192.168.255.237 one one.petacnc.com) that are used on hypervisor nodes. So that in the event of shutting down a failed frontend node and running OpenNebula on another frontend node, hypervisors don’t need any update.

it seems it was all set up automatically in the first place and I just needed to put ‘192.168.255.240 one-2 one-2.petacnc.com’ in /etc/hosts on every node.

There is an opennebula document about frontend HA setup.( http://docs.opennebula.org/5.2/advanced_components/ha/frontend_ha_setup.html#frontend-ha-setup ); its example does have a line about setting up a VIP address though it seems just for sunstone, no further example is provided.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Gunwoo Gim

I think hypervisors have to initiate communication with the frontend, they have to submit the monitoring log, don’t they?

Could anybody tell me when and how the method is declared with which hypervisor nodes initiates data communication with the frontend node? I could just set a DNS record of “one-2” for example. I thought it would be the second best plan.

Best Regards,
Gunwoo Gim

Hi,

AFAIK the monitoring in the hypervisors is managed by the active front-end. So in your case the second front-end should restart the monitoring pointing the opennebula’s collectd service on the hypervisors to it’s own IP daddres. If I am not wrong there was a bug related to this case and the temp solution is to kill the collectd process on the HVs and reload/restart the monitoring. You should digh here in the forum for the description of the problem and the proposed solution.

Best Regards,
Anton Todorov

1 Like

Thank you so much, Anton.

Though I just found out that OpenNebula developers are working on native high availability feature in oned itself which is easy to set up and smooth in recovery phase. ( I read the April OpenNebula newsletter just now on May 13 haha )

I wonder how long it would take finishing the tests and releasing it publicly. does anyone have an idea?

Best Regards,
Gunwoo Gim

AFAIK first beta should be released any moment - the developers are pushing the feature branches to the master branch and resolving the merging conflicts though.

Best Regards,
Anton Todorov

1 Like