Ceph VM Snapshot

Hey,

when I create a VM Snapshot on a Ceph Storage I get the following error:

Thu Aug 31 09:40:34 2017 [Z0][VM][I]: New LCM state is HOTPLUG_SNAPSHOT
Thu Aug 31 09:40:34 2017 [Z0][VMM][I]: Command execution fail: 'if [ -x "/var/tmp/one/vmm/kvm/snapshot_create" ]; then /var/tmp/one/vmm/kvm/snapshot_create one-74 0 74 virt03; else exit 42; fi'
Thu Aug 31 09:40:34 2017 [Z0][VMM][I]: error: unsupported configuration: internal snapshot for disk vda unsupported for storage type raw
Thu Aug 31 09:40:34 2017 [Z0][VMM][E]: Could not create snapshot for domain one-74.
Thu Aug 31 09:40:34 2017 [Z0][VMM][I]: ExitCode: 255
Thu Aug 31 09:40:34 2017 [Z0][VMM][E]: Error creating new VM Snapshot: Could not create snapshot for domain one-74.
Thu Aug 31 09:40:34 2017 [Z0][VM][I]: New LCM state is RUNNING

From what I know is that the Snapshot should normally be done by ceph itself? Am I missing something?

Not entirely sure, but I think Ceph snapshotting was added to Sunstone web interface in version 4.14.

(see: https://dev.opennebula.org/issues/3782)

what version of opennebula are you using?

I am using the latest version 5.4.

That way of snapshotting that you used is done by:

virsh --connect $LIBVIRT_URI snapshot-create-as $DOMAIN --name $SNAP_ID

This does work on qcow2 images, but in the case of Ceph, images are in raw format. See also this topic:

If you look under the tab “storage” there is also a snapshot function, that should work properly with Ceph & raw images.

EDIT: added screenshot for clarification - see the small camera icon

I think that for todays cloud solution such a function is elementary. Under the storage tab I do not have the possiblity to make a snapshot of an exisiting VM. I can only see snapshots of images.

This is bad news. Can someone of Opennebula contact us? We are willing to sponsor such a solution so that we have the possibility to make snaps on ceph for vms.

Finally understood what you mean. Works as expected.

Thank you for helping!