Basic Book / Course?

Hi

I was following an introductory course about OpenStack, but after a series of frustrating issues (ever changing software, lack of documentation) and the fact that you need to be an expert in OpenStack to install a basic all-in-one installation in order to be able to learn how use OpenStack plus the fact that we do use OpenNebula in my company made me try the minione install. Which was absolutely painless.

So, now I have this nice Sunstone installed on my home network and the next question is to out it to good use: I would like to follow a course / training.

I have seen a book OpenNebula 3, by Giovanni Toraldo, but this covers vesion 3, and we are already going to reach version 6 as it seems.

So, where should I start in order to get a basic training of the use and administration of OpenNebula? Is the above book still relevant ?

Thanks,

Enric

Hi Enric,

I hear what you’re saying about OpenStack - your experience is definitely not unusual. Yet, it is nice to hear that your miniONE install has proven simple and straightforward. In terms of where do you go from here, there are various options and vehicles to get you more informed and up-to-speed with OpenNebula. The OpenNebula book by Giovanni Toraldo, while it is based on an older version of OpenNebula and there are certain things that are “out of date”, it could still be used as a solid resource, as there are still many features and fundamentals that still apply. Yet, there are other resources at your disposal, as well, which will certainly be of use:

• Check out the guides within the published documentation
  • Read the technical blog posts and monthly Newsletter
  • View the videos and screencasts
  • Participate in the OpenNebula conference or one of our TechDays
  • Enroll in one of our training courses
  • …and of course keep asking questions to the community on the Developers’ Forum

There is a wealth of knowledge out there - both shared by OpenNebula Systems, as well as by the User Community. And as new features are made available, we continue to feed details and share insights in most of those resources mentioned above, in some form or another.

Reach out if you have more questions or if you would like to dig into something more specific.

Best,
Michael